I offer instructional workshops for university departments in the humanities, social sciences, and health sciences. Workshops address general strategies for successful writing in graduate school and beyond, as well as focused strategies for writing in specific genres and disciplines. To inquire about scheduling and rates, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Craft of Academic Writing
• Discuss common challenges and strategies for successful writing in graduate school
• Discuss the characteristics of successful writing in your academic discipline
• Analyze the structure and style of model texts in your discipline, such as articles and grants
• Practice revising sentences for clarity and concision
• Find resources for additional support with writing and communication
Exchanging Peer Feedback
• Learn strategies for giving and seeking constructive feedback on work in progress
• Review and discuss examples of focused, generative comments
• Practice supporting your peers in guided peer review sessions
About the Instructor:
Dr. Sara Saylor holds a PhD in English from the University of Texas at Austin and has 18 years of experience teaching and editing academic writing. As a private writing consultant and former coordinator of a university-wide writing program for graduate students, Sara has supported hundreds of scholars in the humanities, social sciences, and health sciences. In each workshop, Sara encourages participants to strengthen their writing practices through research-based strategies, hands-on experience, and open communication.